Monday, July 16, 2012

Inspiring Spirit



At each JDRF Ride to Cure they give out a Polka Dot Spirit jersey to honor a rider that the coaches feel exhibit the spirit  and dedication of the ride. This year the jersey went to Bob Parant a NYC rider, who has been type 1 for over 40 years, 2 years ago had a leg amputated due to complications- he rides with a prosthetic leg, a smile and determination. His son, Troy and son’s girlfriend, Sara rode in Death Valley last year and this year he joined us, the NYC team (Crankees) in Vermont.

He was honored the Spirit Jersey, and it was well deserved!

Here are a few words from him;

To all the Crankees,
What an amazing weekend and life experience. Sorry not on Facebook, maybe it's time to get into the tech world.

I can not thank you enough for all that this entire group has done for me. The coaches have always gone out of there way to make me feel like i could do this, always answering my many questions and pushing me literally along the way. The group at JDRF Aly, Lindsay, and Julia and all others encouraging me to continue to move forward with my involvement right from my first call i made 2 years ago for the DV ride.

I am so humbled and honored to be part of this amazing team and to have won the coveted " Spirit Award". This is a weekend that will forever be etched in my mind. Riding with the Crankees and so many other great people that gave me so much encouragement along the way, riding with Troy and Sara and having my whole family there to see me through all I went through and then being at the finish line to see me meet the goal I had, riding with my son who stayed with me the entire time and then caught up to the rest of the pack and do 100 was something a dad cherishes and makes me sooo proud and riding with an amazing person, Coach Lorne. He made my day enjoyable, got me through some tough hills and great conversation. The Spirit Award is shared with you. I could not have gotten to the finish line without all of the great people that have supported me along the way, when I think of this award I will think of all the memories listed above as well as many others even going back to Death Valley where this all started. Let me not forget how touched and how amazed i was with all of those that donated to me with great generoisity and support. Never did I think I would reach $7000 in donations for this cause. That really touched me.

As Lou Gerhig ( Yankee Great if u don't know) " Today I fell like the luckiest man on the face of the earth" .

Now on to me giving back. I want to help in anyway i can to continue to reach another goal and that is the Cure for this disease. I am very willing and able to help in anyway. That is also the joy of going to this event. Seeing how so many work towards this goal. Please call me for anything i can help with. I pledge to work towards finding a cure in my life time. I do not want to see anymore kids having to live with diabetes.

To all, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart and pancreas. I love you all for your help and support.

Ride Strong
Bob Parant


Feel free to pass along to others that may not be on the google list.

No comments:

Post a Comment