Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Waiting for UPS/Stalking UPS via Bike


I am home this morning from working waiting for a new Insulin Pump, mine failed. Yesterday I noticed that there was condensation and fog inside the screen which is not suppose to happen. The MiniMed products are Water Resistant but not Water Proof... Still. Apparently my excessive sweating from exercise is causing this (sorry?) When I called they were great and said they would ship a new one out to arrive in the morning!
Then, when I was leaving work to head to Central Park to Ride, The pump started beeping at me and shut off. I went and bought some new batteries and got it working again for the time being. I put it in a plastic baggy in the pocket of my jersey, which was good because we got caught in a strong downpour. NYC heat and humidity and rain.... agh! The pump was protected and worked for almost the remainder of the night... I woke up this morning with a blank screen and high blood sugar. So I am waiting for UPS to deliver
Please do not worry...I have plenty of insulin pens and syringes around to use in case of this. So I am not without, but after having the pump back, there becomes this dependency on it. I hope it comes soon!
UPDATE:
UPS did not arrive by the scheduled 10:30 time, so I went to check the tracking and got the message, "attempted delivery, unit number not available, trying to locate.." What? I ran downstairs hoping they actually meant they were there and trying to locate me. Not a chance. The first issue is that I told MiniMed yesterday what my address AND apt number were, but they neglected to put that on the package. The other issue is that one of our doorman was laid off this weekend so no one was there to recieve the package without me physically being in the lobby of our building, which I was not.
I called UPS (and Mini Med) on the verge of tears... how could this happen, I need this device. I had to wait for a callback from dispatch as they located the driver, but I knew at this point it could be hours before they try to re-deliver, I explained to them this was important medical equipment and I had taken time off work so that I could get it this morning.
They located the driver, who wasn't able to tell me when he could deliver it, but he did give me the option to pick it up. He was unloading at Home Depot on 19th Street, about 5 blocks from my house.
So, I grabbed the Dahon (fold up city bike) from the closet, pumped up the tires and hopped on. To get to Home Depot you have to go under the BQE Expressway, and of course they were doing road work so the streets were closed. I had to re-route myself over a few more blocks to get through and finally make it to the dead end and spotted the UPS driver. I got my package and he said "sorry you had to ride down here." I thought, if only you knew what my life has been like.... I returned home, had to re-shower from the humidity and come into work. AHHH!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh Maaaaan! What a morning! I can just imagine! around Chasing the UPS truck around Brooklyn on your Dahon. AArrggghhh.

    ReplyDelete