Friday, July 15, 2011

Getting Close

I have been riding a lot more than I have been posting, and we are getting close. In 2 weeks we will be up in Vermont enjoying the pre-activities of The Ride. Taking in the sights and enjoyment of Burlington, the company of the other riders and the Energy of everyone who is there to support finding a cure for Type 1 diabetes!

This season I have enjoyed a lot more time spent on the bike with the New York Crankees and we have over 15 riders going to Burlington. This year Jon Reitzes came back on board as a coach and has done a tremedous job on leadership, communication, recruitment and retention of the team. Together the Crankees have raised over $85,000.00 for JDRF- it is really amazing!

This weekend is our Ride of Passage- Bear Mountain! Tomorrow we will return upstate to do a 66.5 mile ride through Westpoint, Harriman State Park and will end on with a grueling climb up Perkins Memorial Drive.

I have done pieces of each of these rides in my 2 years cycling- Perkins was one of my first challenging rides last year: I felt superhuman that I could climb a mountain on my bike until I learned that my coach rides hill repeats on that- he took the win on superhuman; I did the Westpoint ride in a thunderstorm- the rain was literally chasing us. and to have them incorporated into one will be Awesome! There will be very challenging climbs, amazing lookouts and views, great descends and overall I couldn't imagine a better way to get our final miles in before the Century!

1 comment: