Monday, November 8, 2010

'Juvenile' Diabetes


This weekend we had the joy of a lovely time with Billy's daughter Emma Rose. She is 6 years old, a beautiful, smart and kind soul! We spent time on Friday night cooking and reading and just hanging out. It is an amazing to see her grow and watch her learn and approach life with innocence and passion.

It is amazing to see her at this age and there are things about her that remind me of myself as a child- but I also look at her as this young six year old and think that it was at her age I went to diabetic camp during the summer and learned to give myself my own shots. At the time, I had had Type 1 for 4 years, I was taking 2 shots a day and daily management was much less developed as it is today.

These days so many children who are diagnosed with T1 are using insulin pumps, because of the flexibility to mimic the pancreas, have better control and the assurance that they are getting their insulin. It is amazing to look back and think of how thing have changed in my own life-time of diabetes management.

In 2010 as many as three million Americans may have type 1 diabetes. Each year, more than 15,000 children - 40 per day - are diagnosed.

And with the advancement of research and treatment, these children are able to manage and control their disease and live healthy relatively normal lives- far beyond what was possible years ago.

Thank you for this! I am lucky to have the life I do and share it with those that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment