Thursday, November 4, 2010

Me in a brief Questionnaire

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1

When were you diagnosed: December, 1982

What's your current blood sugar: Dexcom says 92

What kind of meter do you use: One Touch Ultra Link, it links with my Mini Med pump so I can use the Wizard Feature which gives my brain a small break from calculations

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 6 on a steady day- if I am not running high or low. Down from 10-15 pre- dexacom.


What's a "high" number for you: I'm don't like to see it 180 +. but somedays I will take what I can get.

What's do you consider "low": below 70,but I get nervous when I am under 100.

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: Glucose Tablets, I trust them, they aren't too sweet and I can handle them at almost any time of the day, although I never like to.

Describe your dream endo: I don't know if I have a dream Endo, but I know that I have had some ones I would pass on second time around, and right now I am overly happy with my Med team out of Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center- they are great! I love it that they are so accesable and responsive if I have a question- they check their email 24/7 (almost)

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: I would have to say riding in the JDRF Ride to Cure this past July. I rode 100 miles and raised over $7,000.00. And when I crossed the finish line at 110 it was a great feeling after 7 hours of riding a bike!

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear: Right now my biggest fear is that when I have children, one day they will develop T1. When I was younger I was told that it was less than 2.5% chance, but I know that is not the case...

Who's on your support team: My Fiancee and my mom- and my Grandmere, who always calls to make sure I am going to the Dr and I am doing well- she is the most amazing!

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: I am always hopeful, but I am doubtful. There has been a lot of advancement in the last few years, but there is still so far to go. I have confidence in the development of devices, such as the artificial pancreas, that will make living with diabetes easier; or even in treatment such as beta cell regeneration, or preventative treatments, but a CURE for those of us who have and have had T1 for many year, is still quite far off.

What is a "cure" to you: A cure would be me not having to have an artificial device to rely on for my insulin, to not have to calculate carbohydrate ratios or fluctuations in blood sugars or worry about highs or lows... to be honest, I have no idea what a cure would be like, because I have no cognitive memory of pre-diabetes.


The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: When people ask if you can eat sugar. When people try to tell you what you should and shouldn't do when they have no idea what it is to live with this condition. When they think if they had it, they would be in such good control.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes: That Diabetes encompasses both Type 1 and Type 2- education and public awareness are key to understanding the key differences.

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: I hope we can work better together someday! I will forgive you!

1 comment:

  1. Lianna, I love your blog! I think that it is an important topic that doesn't get talked about enough. Since (as you know) my brother is also type 1, I have gotten a lot of similar questions in relation to it being the same thing as type 2. I think that there is a lack of knowledge out there, and it is so awesome that you are answering questions and breaking assumptions through this blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete