Friday, November 5, 2010

Pump it? or not?

After living with T1 for almost 28 years, people would probably assume that I had things down and under control. The truth is, it isn't always that easy.

Almost three years ago, I got FED-UP with my insulin pump... my stomach was becoming sore and infected from 8 years of site alternations, and I felt like it got to the point where I wasn't metabolizing the insulin. So I took it off, and I put it in the medicine cabinet- called my Doctor, and started back up on Multiple Daily Injections (MDI) of Lantus and Humulog.

At the time, I was in between Endrocrinologists and I worked with my primary care physician, using some of my old rates (of course I had them written down) When I finally went into see my new Dr, we worked together on adjusting my daily needs. And it worked for a while, making adjustments is just part of diabetes managment.- being aware what foods make you higher, what activities drop you lower and just over-all being in- tune with your body. It is an amazing feeling to know that I can contribute how I feel to what I eat or what I have done- I believe that Body Awareness is important for everyone, but for Type 1 diabetics, it is necessary.

The MDIs worked for a few years, until I moved to NY. I was getting low blood sugars a few times during the night a week, and for a while I couldn't figure out why. In January, when I started at JDRF, I was fortunate to have resources into a new team of Doctors. When I went to see them we talked about overall management and when the issue with the low blood sugars came up , it was simple- I was taking too much long acting insulin to accommodate my form of transportation- walking. Even if it was to the grocery store or to the gym (not the actual work-out itself) it was more than I was doing before and decreased my insulin needs. The lifestyle changes and the access to great healthcare team, also led me back to the insulin pump and the CGM- my goal to get to and maintain perfect control.

The choice of insulin pump or no insulin pump is such a personal decision. I know many people who do both. To pump, you make the decision to be attached, you have an external device and a tube on you at ALL times- it can get uncomfortable, and frustrating. But for me and my needs right now with 7 different basal rates, different carb ratios and correction factors for different parts of the day, it is what I need right now- maybe not forever, but for now I am bionic, tubes and machines attached. I try to think it is natural, I mean everyone has multiple devices right?

No comments:

Post a Comment